Friday, February 17, 2006

Chai recipe

Bonita Sarita suggested I post the recipe that accompanies my video, "Chai," which is an excellent idea. I received the recipe from the proprieter of an Indian grocery in Boulder, Colorado, and he assured me that once you make your own Chai, you will always insist it is the best. He's absolutely right. Here's the recipe, adapted to my liking (and I often approximate these amounts):

Pour 1 1/2 cups water and 1 1/2 cups soy milk in a pot and heat on medium-high heat
Add one tablespoon Jivraj 9 C.T.C. Leaf Tea* (or a black tea of your liking)
Add one tablespoon granulated sugar
Add two whole cardamom pods, crushed
Add about a tablespoon of fresh ginger, cut into small pieces with skins on
Add two fresh mint leaves

Stir to create a beautiful, rich brown color. Heat until boiling, being careful not to scald the milk or boil over the mixture. Boil down one cup's worth (about ten minutes). Strain the tea and enjoy. Makes two cups.

*I've had difficulty finding this particular brand of tea again. Perhaps you can find it at your local Indian grocery. It's a delicious, rich, flavorful tea that I find particularly lovely in this recipe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home