Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Lost is found

A story so unbelievable I must share it:


Aaron and I got married this past July. The night before our wedding, we had a great party--Texas-themed, of course--at the Mill in Iowa City. We drank, we danced, we hollered, we drank, we played practical jokes, and we drank some more. At the end of the night, my parents caught a cab back to the Alexis Park Inn to get some rest and enjoy the oddly wonderful paintings of airplanes that adorned the walls of their room.

Morning comes, and my mom discovers that her camera is missing. Her prized possession, the inspiration for much of her work as a printmaker, her "little child," as she calls it. We search everywhere, we hound Old Capital Cab, we investigate every nook and cranny, but it's gone, and all of the pictures from the previous night's festivites with it. We give it up for lost, and my mom, devasted, throws away her battery charger, her cables, all the vestiges of what once was, and returns home to California.

Flash forward to January--six months later. My mom receives a call from a guy named Dan, a driver for Old Capital Cab in Iowa City. He found a camera wedged in the seat of his van, and could it be hers? Two days later, Dan dropped it off to me, party pictures and all, having survived the worst of the Iowa summer and most of the winter. This shot is one of my favorites.

2 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Elliot said...

Someone in the Orlando airport relieved me of my camera, complete with vacation photos, and all. I'm sure I won't see those again, so I can seriously get with the joy of actually getting your stuff back, and meeting another cool human ta boot. Horray, hip, hip.

You've inspired me, by the way, to create my own blog depository of the little things in my life, visual and whathaveyou. Cool. Thanks.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Sara Popp said...

I recently read a wonderful story about a man whose car was stolen years and years ago in New York, only to be recovered in California, about to leave for Sweden. Since he was never compensated for the car when it was first stolen (he hadn't insured it yet), he was entitled to get his Corvette back after 37 years missing. Crazy.

Here's the link: BBC article

 

Post a Comment

<< Home